Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Fun Independence Day Weekend

I found it amusing to learn that of a study that claimed that Democrats don't benefit from Independence Day celebrations.  I didn't give politics much thought this weekend, but I can understand why this is.

On both Saturday and Monday, my family and I visited "Colonial Days" in two different cities.  Tents were set up so that individuals could demonstrate all sorts of aspects of Colonial life.  We saw candles being made, discussed the fine (and gruesome) arts of surgery, played Nine Man's Morris, saw wool spun into yarn and weaved into cloth.  In a booth full of muskets, I talked to my daughter about how to load a flintlock, and what a bayonet was for.  One presentation discussed how well-aimed cannon fire literally reduced entire regiments of Confederate soldiers to pink mist.  We saw displays about the Mayflower and the local Indians.  My children even attended a Colonial school.

 A local museum had copies of the Declaration of Independence, artifacts of the dual between Arron Burr and Alexander Hamilton, and other artifacts related to American culture; another museum showed the history of the printing press, starting with a replica of Gutenberg's original press.

My children had the opportunity to be frightened by musket fire and cannon fire, as minutemen performed their ceremonies; and in the end, my oldest daughter wanted to be a "Colonial".  I have no idea how to do that, but I'd like to be involved, too!

Amusingly, a person demonstrating how to cast bullets over an open fire had a discussion with an observer about how awful our current regulations are--unintentionally echoing the types of conversations likely happening in 1775.

And while we missed the parade, we saw plenty of fireworks, both on Saturday (we watched "Stadium of Fire" fireworks from the grass at a local park) and Monday (our neighbors had a fantastic fireworks display, complimented by newly-legalized "shooting" fireworks lit around the neighborhood).

I couldn't imagine a better celebration of freedom and independence!

And that's the problem that Democrats face:  while I wouldn't consider the Republican Party to be a bastion of freedom, it certainly pays more lip service to freedom than the Democrat Party does.  Thus, any holiday that celebrates freedom is bound to favor the Republican Party--to the extent that anyone is thinking about politics as well.


I would confess that this holiday didn't reinforce my love for my country.  It reinforced my love of freedom, and a greater appreciation for the time period that this love became entrenched into our country.  Thus, it reaffirmed my desire to help us be more free.

And it's a reminder that I'm happy to be alive, and to be free!

1 comment:

  1. Joe Martens, Director, New York Offshore Wind Alliance, said, "The release of the state first ever competitive offshore wind procurement by NYSERDA is momentous and is the next step in the Governor unwavering commitment to New Yeezy Shoes secure at least Ray Ban Sunglasses Sale 800 MW of this clean, renewable, carbon free energy source by 2019. Thanks to Governor Cuomo, New York path to offshore wind energy has been thorough, thoughtful and Cheap Air Force Ones smart. The state leadership in moving aggressively to harness offshore wind power will Coach Outlet Sale lead to thousands of jobs, greater energy diversity, new businesses and indeed, a new American clean energy industry.".

    She is a genuine woman, right from instinct and impulse rather than judgment and Coach Handbags Clearance reflection." the couple became engaged, Lucy returned the wedding cake Cheap Jordan Shoes For Men ring to Rutherford. He wore that Michael Kors Outlet Online ring for the rest of his life. And Rutherford were married at her mother's house in Cincinnati in a simple ceremony on December 30, 1852.

    ReplyDelete